Our Spanish Program
1. How long are your programs? When can I start?
There’s no limit, Academia Tica starts classes every Monday and you can choose any number of weeks. Check our Spanish Programs info so you can choose the course that fits your needs!
2. How much do your programs cost?
You can see all our prices here.
3. Who is in charge of Academia Tica?
Academia Tica is run by qualified personnel who speak several languages like: Spanish, English, German, French and Russian.
4. Can I stay longer than originally intended?
Yes, you can extend courses and accommodation at any time.
5. How do I get to school the first day?
On the first day, a member of your host family will show you the way to school. Classes start every Monday at 8:00am.
6. Is there a test before I start my classes to find out my current level?
Yes, before the classes start you’ll do a test so that we can assess your Spanish level.
7. Can children study at Academia Tica?
Yes, we can teach children from ages 6 up to 99 🙂
8. Can I study with my family?
Yes, you can. We welcome families, ask us for special offers.
9. Is one-on-one instruction possible?
Yes, it is. Check out our Private course.
10. Is it possible to study at Academia Tica without any previous knowledge?
Yes, of course.
11. Do I have to pay extra for material like books?
Starting on 2013 and in our desire to improve our quality of teaching, we have adopted a new book method as recommended by Instituto Cervantes. The cost of the book method is $50 and you can use it after your course to continue studying.
12. How are the teachers qualified for teaching?
They have University degrees and many years of experience.
13. Is it possible as a group to enter into an agreement with the Academia Tica in order to get discounts?
Yes, its possible, just tell us about it.
14. Do I get a certificate after having finished my classes?
Yes, you get a certificate.
15. Does Academia Tica offer special courses in order to prepare the student for the DELE exam of Cervantes Institute?
Yes, it does. As an Instituto Cervantes Associate Center, we provide a special course designed to prepare you for the DELE Exam.
16. Are cultural activites included in the program?
Yes, we offer cultural activities every week, like museum or volcano visits, tropical food tasting and Costa Rican cooking classes. Check out our Free Time Activity Program.
17. Is it possible to work as a volunteer during my stay in Costa Rica?
Yes, Academia Tica has a volunteer program with social institutions, Turtle protection programs, an organic farm and National Parks.
Host Families and Apartments
18. How does Academia Tica select host families?
Academia Tica has a strict control in terms of host family selection, also the host families have worked with the Academia Tica for many years. We hand-pick our host families and keep them in close contact so we can ensure that our students go to a clean, safe and happy environment.
19. When do I get information about my host family?
Academia Tica will provide information to the student, when she/he is enrolled.
20. Can family, spouses or travel companions stay in the same home stay?
Yes, it’s possible but the price for non-students is higher.
21. Should I bring a gift for my family?
You don’t need to bring a present to the host family, but it would be awesome.
22. How long may I stay in my homestay?
You can stay as long as you want, just check with Academia Tica for availability.
23. Does my host family offer vegetarian/vegan food if required?
Yes, but we’ll need to know this before you come to Academia Tica.
24. If I don’t feel comfortable with my host family, can I switch to another one?
Change in accommodation type (e.g. from family to apartment or family to family) is only possible during the first week of classes. Check first with the Academia Tica administration for availability.
25. Is it possible to make a reservation only for the apartments without taking part in a Spanish program?
Yes, but the price is higher.
26. How far will my house be from school?
Between 0,5 and 1,5 miles.
27. What is the difference between Standard & Standard Plus homestay?
Standard Plus includes private bathroom.
28. Can I request a non-smoking host family?
Yes, you can.
Entry & Arrival
29. Is there a pick-up service at the airport offered by the Academia?
Yes, there is. To Coronado at any time, and to Jacó until 8:00 pm. We just need to know the time you will arrive at the airport and an employee from the Academia Tica will pick you up.
30. What do I have to do if my airplane is delayed?
In this case you have to call the emergency number of the Academia Tica that will be provided upon your enrolment.
31. What happens with my transfer if my airplane arrives on schedule after 8:00 p.m.?
If you are going to Jacó you need to spend one night in a hotel, then an employee from Academia Tica can pick you up the next morning. This is for security reasons since the road can be sketchy at night and we wouldn’t want to have you stranded in the middle of the night.
32. Do I need a visa to travel or to study in Costa Rica?
Entering Costa Rica, every visitor from Japan, USA and Western Europe gets a tourist visa that is valid for 90 days. Students who plan to stay longer than 3 months have to leave the country for at least 72 hours by visiting Panama or Nicaragua to renew their Visa for another 90 days.
33. Are there times when the school is closed, such as holidays?
Yes, this are the dates when the school is closed due to holidays (2012):
- April 17, 18: Easter week, Thursday & Good Friday
- April 11: National Hero
- May 1: International Labor Day
- July 25: Annexation of Guanacaste
- August 2: Patron Saint of Costa Rica
- August 15: Mother’s Day
- October 12: Culture’s Day
- Dec 21, 2013 to Jan 5th, 2014: Christmas Break 2013-2014
- Dec 20, 2013 to Jan 4th, 2014: Christmas Break 2014-2015
34. What vaccinations/medications do I need to enter Costa Rica?
There aren’t any vaccinations required to enter Costa Rica. Nevertheless it is reasonable to be vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B.
35. Does Academia Tica have internet access?
Yes, there is a computer room for student use as well as Wi-Fi connection available.
36. How much money should I bring? Will my debit card work in Costa Rica?
You should bring money for your weekend tourism and other minor expenses, and the debit card works at the ATM (Visa, MasterCard).
37. Can I use my mobile phone in Costa Rica?
Yes, but you should check first with your cell phone company.
38. Should I be concerned about my safety in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is a safe country, but like in any other place in the world, there can be cases of theft and crime. Take normal precautions as would normally do while travelling and don’t worry too much: don’t leave your bags unattended, don’t show your money on the street, don’t walk alone at night, etc. You’ll be provided with a trip guide once you’re here.
39. Can Academia Tica send me maps of the location of Academia Tica and the town?
40. Is it recommended to rent a car during my stay in Costa Rica?
It depends, some students like to go by bus to the touristic destinations and others rent a car so they can move around easily. Our tourism services platform will help you to rent a car if you’re interested.
41. What is your bank account?
Our bank details are:
Account holder: Diálogo-Academia Tica S.A.
Account number: 200-02-053-001721-0
Bank: Banco Nacional de Costa Rica
Address: Avenidas 1 y 3, Calle 4, San José
Swift Code: BNCRCRSJ
42. To whom do I have to adress myself to get further information?
You can contact our staff by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us: +(506) 2229-0013.